If you believe you have a claim for product liability in Fort Lauderdale you need to call the product liability specialists at the law firm of Martin, Lister & Alvarez to discuss your options. Product liability laws are in place to hold manufacturers and retailers responsible for knowingly providing products that can cause harm or injury to consumers and to make consumers who are damaged by these products whole.
Product liability lawsuits can be complicated and you will need expert legal advice to determine what your best course of action is and what you can expect as an outcome. At Martin, Lister & Alvarez we have a combined total of over 80 years’ experience in the field and we are ready to advise clients in Fort Lauderdale on the merits of their case and what their next steps should be.
What Causes Can I Use to Pursue a Product Liability Lawsuit in Fort Lauderdale?
There are basically four causes for product liability suits:
- Strict liability—the consumer does not have to prove that the manufacturer is at fault. The manufacturer must prove that their product did not cause harm.
- Breach of warranty—the product does not live up to its warranty standards. This cause is what inspired the various “lemon laws” now in force in many states including Florida.
- Negligence during development, which yielded an unsafe item. Think GM ignition switches.
- Breach of duty to warn— the product did not indicate any danger or necessary precautions for using the item. This is why you now see “not a step” labels on the top steps of stepladders.
Of course the attorneys for the defense will offer up arguments in an effort to discredit the plaintiff’s claim and those typically include:
- The injury sustained by the plaintiff was not caused by the product
- The product itself is not defective
- Any injury sustained by the plaintiff is the result of mishandling the item or using it for other than for its intended purpose (standing on the top step of a step ladder).
Any time an individual goes up against a large company the odds are stacked in the company’s favor. You need expert representation to level the playing field and the experts in Fort Lauderdale are at Martin, Lister & Alvarez.
Contact us today for a free consultation and as always, if we proceed with your case you owe us nothing until there is a settlement or you win a verdict.