Fort Lauderdale Lawyer Explains the Grounds for Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Cases
Without question, brain and spinal cord injuries are some of the most devastating events that can affect an individual and his or her family. On average first year medical costs run $1,000,000 and subsequent years can cost upwards to $200,000. They are financial disasters and they wreak havoc emotionally.
If the cause of the injury can be attributed to a responsible party, you may be able to file a lawsuit to recover some or all of your injury related expenses and other costs.
The most common causes of brain and spinal cord injuries arise from:
- Automobile accidents (over 30% of all spinal cord injuries)
- Slip and falls
- Unintentional blunt force trauma
- Gunshot wounds
- Sports related accidents
If negligence can be demonstrated to be the cause of your injury, there is an excellent opportunity to sue for damages. Determining the existence of negligence is an area that the experienced lawyers at Martin, Lister & Alvarez can assist you with. A case review by the law firm can provide you with your best options for moving forward.
Types of Damages Involved in Spinal Cord Injury Claims
The experts at Martin, Lister & Alvarez have a proven track record of success with settlements and verdicts for their clients. Potential claims in brain/spinal cord cases include:
- Medical Expenses. Damages for medical expenses are not limited to costs already paid but take into consideration of future costs for treatment, therapy and pharmaceutical costs.
- Lost Wages. Like medical expenses, earnings you have lost are not limited to those before the lawsuit but for those earnings you will lose going forward because you are unable to perform your job. There are many ways to address this issue and an experiences attorney is crucial in an effective claim.
- In-home Care and Renovations. Your home may have to undergo renovation to accommodate the physical limitations caused by the injury. In addition, it is not uncommon to need in-homecare as well as housekeeping services. These expenses can be claimed as damages.
- Pain and Suffering. This is often confused as only physical pain. With these types of injuries there can be severe emotional pain in the form of depression, humiliation and anxiety. The “value” of this pain fluctuates greatly which is another reason to have an expert in the field representing you.
If you have a spinal cord or traumatic brain injury and you want to know the best way to proceed, feel free to sign up for our complimentary case evaluation. You’ll find that our team of spinal cord injury lawyers is sympathetic and straight shooting. You are undoubtedly in a bad place right now and we want to help you get back on track with your life.